Where can I buy the best American camping tent with highest quality made in US Not china?




zahra s





Answer
There are Amercian made tents and they are really good and really expensive. There are some tent making companies that sew their own but they cannot compete with the prices on the stuff that comes into the US and is sold in the major outfit stores. There are some small tent makers in the Northeast and the Northwest and the best thing I can suggest is that you contact some specialty camping store (small one that specializes in camping or climbing) and ask them. Outdoor products are kind of phony in that the "outfittrs" wear a great big green, happy, face and pretend that they are saving the planet but they are buying their products are dirt prices from countries that ar nonunion, sweatshop labor havens. Kind of the like the outdoor magazines that have a V8 SUV ad on every third page. And campers/hiking/outfitters etc are just as tough on the earth as other industries but they have feel good days because they pretend they are not buying equipment made with manmade fibers manufactured by petro chemical industries that have no environmental controls. You can buy materials and sew your own if you want to be a purist and there are guides and pattersn available for that too. Or you can buy cheapo imports but you have to pretend is all very moral.

Camping Tent Recomendation?




Hysol


I would like to purchase a camping tent and am looking for a manufacturer recommendation. It would be a 3 season tent. I need it to be water proof.

I checked Consumer Report and they have never rated tents. Every time I look at some tent online there are good and bad reviews that often counterdict each other.

Do any of you out there know of a good unbiased site that has reviewed and rated tents?

Do any of you out there own a tent brand that you really like? ( waterproof, zippers work well, well made).

Thank you all in advance.
Wow, thank you for all of your responses. Great questions that you asked.
OK, I would be using this tent for two uses. One would be hauled with a motorcycle in a pull behind trailer (Marine Corps vet here-Run to the Wall and Rolling Thunder rides done every year.). And I would be using it with a car for traveling. No back packing. I am 60 years old, not much hiking done here. I need waterproof. I don't mind spending some dinero on the tent. I would prefer a 4 person tent (might have a young lady friend with me now an then) and I would prefer being able to stand up in the tent. I am 6 foot tall.
I hope that supplies more info for all of you.
Thanks for the help.



Answer
You failed to provide critical details: size, weight, type of camping.
When I am car camping, I am fine with the cheap department-store tent that holds a queen-sized air mattress and all of my gear. However, I use very different tents that are one-fifth as heavy and ten times more expensive when backpacking in remote mountain tundra locations. Generally, within a class based on weight and cost, you will find many similar models that are about equal in quality. If you spend a few hundred dollars, you will get a good tent.

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL-1, $330
MSR Hubba Hubba 2, $300

A few great tents are manufactured for:

Big Agnes
MSR
GoLite
Marmot
The North Face
Sierra Designs

Backpacker Magazine has good tent reviews.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment