Please recommend an 8 or 10 person family tent for us!?







I am heartbroken. I was going to order the Columbia Cougar Flats 2 and now it has been discontinued.

Can anyone recommend a tent that would be big enough for me, my husband who is 6'4 tall, and 3 children? My youngest will be sleeping in a pack and play.

Would like a bathtub floor, good ventilation. A canopy over the front door would be a great bonus. I like the idea of divided rooms.

We are not camping anywhere very cold.. but would need something that will stand up to rain.

Thank you.



Answer
My current family tent would satisfy all of those preferences with the exception of the canopy over the door. However, the lacking canopy has proven to only be a problem when going in and out while it is actually raining, and...really...how much are you going to actually do that?

The straight vertical walls allow for more usable floorspace (especially for things like a pack-n-play), it has a hanging divider, and even two doors. The doors are excellent for camping with kids because they are a hard D-frame with a hinge and velcro, so the kids can easily go in and out without having to zip/unzip/zip/unzip. You can zip up the doors when you want/need to, but you don't have to do it every time.

Big windows on three sides and doors on the fourth side have rather large windows as well. The entire top is mesh. I've never had a problem in the wind and/or rain in this tent.

The tent is very tall (I'm 6'3" so that's a requirement for me as well), and hands-down the easiest tent to setup that I have ever owned. Not exaggering when I say that I can easily setup this tent in 15 minutes by myself, including all guylines. It's also just as easy to break down, and it's the only tent I've owned that actually folds up SMALLER than it came from the store, so you can actually fit additional accessories in the original storage bag in addition to the tent.

It's made by Coleman but only sold in Target stores. If there's not a store near you, they usually offer free shipping on something priced that high. I've seen it on sale as cheap as $150, but it's usually $185-200.

Picking a tent for camping with baby...?




Ziff


I grew up camping with my parents but my wife has only gone once and this will be our first time with our little girl. My two person tent no longer cuts it so I'm looking for suggestions on a size of tent. I've got two Coleman's in mind one is a 4 person 9'x7' and the other is much larger at 17'x10'

My only worry about the 17'x10' foot tent is will it get too cold at night? Temperatures will drop to low 30's at night but days will be around 70

Any Suggestions on tent?



Answer
We have a young kiddo too. The smaller tent would keep you warmer at night but we have not been in low temps only around the 50's. I believe our tent is a 8 person tent but we like having the space. We bring a pack'n'play with extra blankets, you may even put one in a plastic bag to keep as an extra just in case things get wet, it's nice to have a back up. Last year our kiddo was 9 months and still fit into the little baby "sleep sack" (to avoid SIDS) then you can put on a few layers and the sleep sack and know she will not kick off her blankets in the middle of the night (they even have these for older kids..up to 6 I think). our tent also has an attached screen tent that has been very handy. It's a good safe place to hang out at night to escape the bugs and decent rain protection. Sorry to go on and on. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. We've been camping through the pregnancy and since...the kiddo loves it. This year (she's almost two) we made a fishing pole with a stick and a bobber and one of her favorite activities was playing with a pot filled with water...she cooled off, threw in rocks, scooped water and gave us time to set up with out her right under our feet although as you know it only takes a little bit of water for kiddos to be unsafe. P.S. Bring lots of little snacks and shoes that can get wet....we used a baby back pack too.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment