Looking for a 4 person car camping tent.?

Q. I'm looking for a 4 person tent (for 2 people and gear) for car camping. I don't think the $39.95 tents at the box stores are worth anything at all, but I do have a budget of about $100. Anyone have a 4 person tent they recommend? I live in the pacific northwest and it rains here occasionally so it needs to be adequate in that regard. I also think aluminum poles are better than fiberglass, but in my price range I might have to settle for FG poles.


Answer
I encourage you to triple or quadruple your tent budget. When I buy a tent and other sleeping gear, I consider the cost of the motel rooms in which I would stay but for the comfort of my tent. You may save thousands of dollars per year by staying in a comfortable, reliable tent over living out of motels.
In the $300 range, look at Marmot-Den4 (4'10" ceiling) or Big Agnes Big House 4 (5'8" ceiling). For $400, consider Marmot Halo 4 (4'11" ceiling) or Mountain Hardwear-Habitat 5 Tent (6'5" ceiling).

Camping Tent Recomendation?

Q. I would like to purchase a camping tent and am looking for a manufacturer recommendation. It would be a 3 season tent. I need it to be water proof.

I checked Consumer Report and they have never rated tents. Every time I look at some tent online there are good and bad reviews that often counterdict each other.

Do any of you out there know of a good unbiased site that has reviewed and rated tents?

Do any of you out there own a tent brand that you really like? ( waterproof, zippers work well, well made).

Thank you all in advance.
Wow, thank you for all of your responses. Great questions that you asked.
OK, I would be using this tent for two uses. One would be hauled with a motorcycle in a pull behind trailer (Marine Corps vet here-Run to the Wall and Rolling Thunder rides done every year.). And I would be using it with a car for traveling. No back packing. I am 60 years old, not much hiking done here. I need waterproof. I don't mind spending some dinero on the tent. I would prefer a 4 person tent (might have a young lady friend with me now an then) and I would prefer being able to stand up in the tent. I am 6 foot tall.
I hope that supplies more info for all of you.
Thanks for the help.


Answer
You failed to provide critical details: size, weight, type of camping.
When I am car camping, I am fine with the cheap department-store tent that holds a queen-sized air mattress and all of my gear. However, I use very different tents that are one-fifth as heavy and ten times more expensive when backpacking in remote mountain tundra locations. Generally, within a class based on weight and cost, you will find many similar models that are about equal in quality. If you spend a few hundred dollars, you will get a good tent.

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL-1, $330
MSR Hubba Hubba 2, $300

A few great tents are manufactured for:

Big Agnes
MSR
GoLite
Marmot
The North Face
Sierra Designs

Backpacker Magazine has good tent reviews.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment