What is the ACF and what does it have to do with camping?




anon_at_ho


I was just answering some questions about camping, and someone said that they are in the ACF and were wondering what to pack. I googled ACF and got some interesting responses, but nothing seems to fit.


Answer
The ACF is the Army Cadet Force =D
They do assorts like camping shooting (targets), flying camps oversees =D

I was in the ATC (Air Training Corps) who are ace! They are the Royal Air Force's version or the ACF.

So obviously I would think that they are better ;)
lol

We did an excercise in the moors where we had to escape from an "enemy prison camp". We were running from a hunter force for a week and we had to camp in tents each night. It was ace!

So yeah the ACF is the Army Cadet Force and yes they do camp but with a lot of other things aswell
http://www.armycadets.com/join/?gclid=CI3_2fePmZoCFYFA3godHzdu9g

But the Air Training Corps is better:
http://www.aircadets.org/

Hop I've helped =D

What makes a tent waterproof? and how to know if one is?




tackelberr


I got tent and sprayed with waterproofing. Used it yesterday during the rain and had to put a tarp over it to keep the water from seeping through the top. So I'm looking for a new one thats really rain proof, any suggestions?


Answer
A self-supporting tent (like a dome tent) with a full rainfly should keep you relatively dry. I have a Eureka Aspen, a Eureka Apex, and a Big Agnes Seedhouse 3. I NEVER get wet. The Aspen is my primary tent. It has seen hailstorms in the Rockies, torrential downpours in the Adirondacks, and wet sloppy snow in Vermont.

Taped seams are the best, but you can always get seam sealer at the camping supply store closest to you. If you are buying your camping gear at Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, Sears, etc...expect to get something less than quality. Go to a REAL gear store and look at the tents. Eureka tents are the best tents if you have a tight budget. You can pick up an Apex at Campmor for about $89. A good MountainHardwear or Marmot tent will set you back a couple hundred bucks.

Also...these are all lighter backpacking style tents. If you are looking for something that you can set a cot and chairs in, then you are really going to pay big bucks for a good tent. A Kelty Trail Dome 6 person tent goes for about $350 (I think) and better tents are more expensive than that. You can pick up a 6 person cabin tent at K-Mart for $150...and you will get wet.

Make sure your tent is tight. That is what keeps the tent from dripping. Use a groundcloth. I put mine inside the tent, some people put it under the tent or they use a pre-fab footprint to keep the groundwater and condensation out.

Also...one drip doesn't mean the tent is leaking. Condensation can easily build on the inside of the tent. If the temperature and dew point are equal, count on water clinging to the ceiling. Chances are it will drip on you. All of my tents have a roof screen. Moisture travels out through the screen and condenses on the fly. When it runs down the fly, it lands OUTSIDE my tent. If my tent had a solid ceiling it would roll down the INSIDE of my tent and I would get wet.

Also...follow all of the other advise already posted. It's all pretty helpful.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment