What's the best way to stay warm at night on a camping trip with my girlfriend?

best value tents for camping on Motorcycle Camping Equipment
best value tents for camping image



Pride


After we put the fire out and go in the tent, my girlfriend and I will get in our sleeping bags. The thing is it may get down well below freezing. I was considering what many people suggest about combining body heat. Now back in college I took thermodynamics and I remember that heat transfer by radiation is much less effective than heat transfer by conduction.

But here's the problem. If normal body temperature is 98.6F, and we combine our body heat I'm coming up with 98.6F + 98.6F = 197.2F. That's too hot; we could get burned. I guess I could use some advice.



Answer
Obviously, body heat is not additive. Boil water, place in bottles, and fill your sleeping bags with warm water bottles. You need to buy down sleeping bags rated for 0 degrees or lower for the insulation value. Place insulated sleeping pads beneath the sleeping bags. If you are still cold, then wear down jackets and heavy fleece base layers to bed. If you are car camping, you can also add additional layers of quilted comforters and, if camping in a developed campground with electricity, you can use an electric blanket.

What do I need to know about buying a camping tent?

Q. I have been shopping for an approximately 10x10 camping tent for car camping (not backpacking). I have looked online at REI, Campmor, EMS, Sierra Trading... and in the store at Walmart and Dick's Sporting goods. I've compared features so I know what's typically available. I'm trying to find out why there is such a huge variance in prices... what is the value of a $200 tent vs. an $80 one with nearly the same features. (is it the material?) I'm looking for other people's advice and experiences!


Answer
Things like double-layered fabric, sealed seams and ripstop fabric make for a better and more durable tent that will keep you warm & dry. Same goes for aluminum poles and stakes. I think REI gives really good value for the money, especially their campdome series - I have had one for years and it's still in great shape. They also are very easy to set up. If you plan to use it more than one or two times, a quality tent is worth the money. Sure, you could get the Motel 6 of tents, but I think the Holiday Inn Express is worth a few more dollars. I do not recommend the "Four Seasons" of tents (like Mountain Hardware or North Face) unless you've got $$ to burn or plan to use it more than you use your bed.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment