overnight backpacking/camping in new york state?




DGlock


I want to go backpacking/camping in new york state (possibly Adirondack State Park) with three other people. We are hoping to hike up to a spot to set up tents etc. and spend the night. We are each 17 or 16 years old - is this a problem? I know that in Connecticut at least one person must be 18. Thanks!


Answer
It shouldn't be. There usually isn't someone there checking IDs at the trailheads. I'm pretty sure there is nothing in the DEC regs about age limits. However, if you are camping in an area where use of a bear can is mandatory and you don't already own one, you will need a credit card to put down as a deposit when you rent one. Aside from that, most backcountry campsites are first come-first serve.

How do you organize a camping trip?




Smiles


I know nothing about camping and want to organize a trip. How do I find a camp site? What other things should I consider? Is there a fee? What do I need for the trip? Thanks.


Answer
If you go to a campground, there is usually a fee. In NY, that fee runs about $20 / night for a state campground.

I typically make reservations online. The website http://www.reserveamerica.com/ handles the reservations for many campgrounds. I know the sites I go to in New York are handled through reserve america.

In terms of what you need, you will minimally need:

Tent,
Sleeping bags
Mats or mattresses unless you are ok with a harder surface to sleep on
Camp stove (optional but handy)
Lanterns
Flashlights
table cloths for covering the picnic tables
cooking supplies (spatula's, tongs, long forks, knives, cutting boards, silverware or plasticware, cups)
Cooler (s)
Hatchet or Ax, Saw
Hammer (pounding stakes)
Fireside chairs
Appropriate clothes and sundries

(This list could go on forever depending on how rustic or civilized you want to go)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment