What are some compaints you have about your camping tent?

best camping tent for 4 people on Products - Canvas Tents, Camper Trailer Tents
best camping tent for 4 people image



mitanbarr


I am taking a marketing class, and we are a new tent manufacturer selling our product to Academy. One of the parts of our project is to list OUR competitive advantage over other tent manufacturers. So if you have any complaints about your camping tent, it'll give our group some ideas.
Thanks!
:)



Answer
I have a new tent that sleeps 7 that I mostly like, but I have a few complaints.

1) It requires more than 1 person to set it up

2) It has great ventilation with vents at the top of the tent, but because of those vents, the fly is the only protection from rain. I have not had it in a rain storm yet, but even with the fly, I would be worried about leaking under the fly with rain coupled with a heavy side wind. My solution would be to keep the vents(really makes the tent less musty) but have some ability to cover them in the event of a storm.

3) I wish it came with a rolling case like some of the other tents that I compared against. It would be nice to have one rolling carrying case to put the tent, pole bags into.

4) The stakes are cheap plastic. I wish they were better quality.

5) I wish my tent had a "foyer" . One of those pre-entrance ways that are protected by rain but you can leave your shoes.

I chose this tent for a few reasons that might be pertinent to your study

1) The floor thickness and quality was above that of other tents in its price range.

2) There are only 2 poles for the tent and 2 for the fly (actually about 12 poles but they are connected by wire running through them which is important to me.

3) The zipper on the main door was well made and looked like it would hold up better than some others.

4) Convenience pouches for holding items were built into the interior.

Do I really have to buy a four-season camping tent?




Tracy


I am planning to have my very first winter camping next month. I heard some people said that a four-season camping tent is necessary for a winter camping. I purchased a camping tent this summer and it's a three-season camping tent. I think it's OK because I will use my sleeping bag. Do I really have to buy a four-season camping tent?


Answer
The major differences between a 3 season and a 4 season tent are that the winter rated tents are designed to be able to support or shed a heavy snow load without the frame breaking or the tent collapsing. They also tend to have the rainfly system designed to maintain a more reliable space between the fly and inner tent wall to minimize condensation and having the fly press on the tent due to a build up of snow. Winter rated tents tend to have smaller window and ventilation areas and will more often have an exterior vestibule arrangement to block wind and to give you a place to leave snowy gear outside the sleeping area or to cook on the ground but out of the wind during storms.

Unless you expect heavy snow loads or severe blizzards and extended bivouacs, a good quality (not discount store) 3 season tent can be perfectly adequate for winter camping. I have winter camped many times with 3 season tents, in fact, probably more often than with my 4-season ones (though I own several tents of each type). If your tent pitches tight so that the fly doesn't blow around and snap in the wind and has strong poles and a vestibule or good fly overhang over the door, you will most likely be fine in it.

For winter camping in snow I always carry a microfiber towel to wipe condensation off the inside of the tent walls at night and before I get out of my bag in the morning.

Be certain you have stakes that will work in the ground conditions you will encounter. Fat plastic stakes will not work on frozen ground -- get the thin metal ones that twist in. If you will be camping in deep snowpack, you will want to be able to make "dead man" anchors by attaching the guy lines and corner staking tabs to buried stuff sacks that you fill with snow or rocks or tying your guy lines to buried branches. You will probably need to stake the tent more solidly than in warmer weather due to the higher potential for wind. Nothing is worse than watching your dome tent bounce down the mountain and out of sight over a cliff (hasn't happened to me but I've seen it happen to others).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment