when buying a tent and camping gear is walmart the place to go because they are easy to return?

tents for camping at walmart on Camping Backpack
tents for camping at walmart image



Drifter


Planning long camping trip. Getting new important stuff [tent, mattresses, stuff....] We will be going place to place all summer. Tenting, hotel, tenting,hotel off and on. I have purchased tents before that just leak from day one. So I am thinking I should just get a coleman or I am looking at this texasport 10 man tent which looks nice at Walmart. If I get the tent and mattresses at walmart and there is a problem I can return them with ease [except driving to a walmart]. There is one pretty much all over. Anyone know if walmart has anything good at all ? They have the simmons and sealy air mattresses for like 80.00 which is pretty good.

Top 10 things needed beside beer on month long camping trip ?



Answer
It sounds like you're planning a nice trip. Why spoil it by putting up with leaking tents and repeated trips to Walmart to exchange one poorly-made tent for another? There are many good models in the $200-300 range that, if not abused, will offer a comfortable and dry nights sleep. I've had good experience with Eureka tents, but there are plenty of other quality manufacturers of 2 to 4-person tents in that price range, particularly the Timberline and Mountain Pass series, which provide great weather protection and ventilation at a reasonable price. But there are many other quality brands to choose from.

Big tents can be difficult to setup and pack-up by yourself, and the extra space isn't necessary. The tent is your bedroom while camping; you only go inside to sleep. The outdoors is your living room, kitchen, dining room. You would never want to cook, eat or store food inside your tent because this would attract insects and animals. Much better to setup a separate kitchen/dining area away from your tent, covered by a tarp or screen room for protection from rain and flying insects. The rest of the time is spent out enjoying nature. After all, isn't that the reason for camping in the first place?

What do I need to know about buying a camping tent?

Q. I have been shopping for an approximately 10x10 camping tent for car camping (not backpacking). I have looked online at REI, Campmor, EMS, Sierra Trading... and in the store at Walmart and Dick's Sporting goods. I've compared features so I know what's typically available. I'm trying to find out why there is such a huge variance in prices... what is the value of a $200 tent vs. an $80 one with nearly the same features. (is it the material?) I'm looking for other people's advice and experiences!


Answer
Things like double-layered fabric, sealed seams and ripstop fabric make for a better and more durable tent that will keep you warm & dry. Same goes for aluminum poles and stakes. I think REI gives really good value for the money, especially their campdome series - I have had one for years and it's still in great shape. They also are very easy to set up. If you plan to use it more than one or two times, a quality tent is worth the money. Sure, you could get the Motel 6 of tents, but I think the Holiday Inn Express is worth a few more dollars. I do not recommend the "Four Seasons" of tents (like Mountain Hardware or North Face) unless you've got $$ to burn or plan to use it more than you use your bed.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment