Dog-friendly camping along the WA coast?

best tent camping olympic peninsula on Map created with TOPO!�2000 Wildflower Productions (www.topo.com).
best tent camping olympic peninsula image



%$#$#()@


My boyfriend and I recently camped on the OR coast and had a great time (despite a leaky tent!) and are looking for some coastal camping closer to where we live in the Seattle area.

Can some of you recommend campgrounds you've STAYED AT (please don't just link me if you haven't personally stayed) on the Olympic Peninsula or further South on the coast that allow dogs and have nice tidal pools, trails, etc?

Thanks!



Answer
I don't enjoy dodging 4 x 4s tearing down the beach going 40+ mph when I'm trying to enjoy walking especially with a dog or two and kids in tow, so I prefer to stay further north where there are no cars on the beach. I've stayed at both Mora and Kalaloch campgrounds and go to the beaches nearby including Ruby Beach and Rialto Beach.

Dogs are allowed in both of those campgrounds and also on the beaches in those areas. They are supposed to be leashed at all times, but if you have a map to know where the park boundaries are, watch the tide tables carefully and your dog is well behaved and not a menace to anyone you can hike along the beach past the park boundaries for some off leash time.

These camp sites can be crowded in summer and (of course) rain is always a possibility.

What would you do?




ani


if a bear starting ripping into your tent while you, you're significant other are sleeping in a tent in the middle of the woods?
you have no gun.



Answer
..actually, i have been in that situation...a couple times..and both time i pretty much panicked. I did a lot of screaming, got my arms out of my fartsack, and made the tent part of my defensiveness.. i tried to make the bear think i was much bigger than him..but all i did probably was make him think eating any thing that noisy would give him gas..
Bears {black bears} aren't exactly aggressive..they are a timid animal..fortunately..for the most part...and you can bluff them..i wouldn't recommend trying that, tho, just to prove a point...you never know what one is motivated by..and that plays a significant part in what it's doing attacking a tent in the first place.
The first time, i was alone, .. with grub inside my tent..[a 2 man tent on a stream bank], and the bear just got confused and milled around a few seconds and as i clambered out of the dam tent he walked off across the meadow.
The second time i was on the coast on the Olympic peninsula and the bears came into my camp to forage and tore my tent down around me... that time, it was a fight..and again i did a lot of screaming, and some people in another camp came to my aid. Those bears were habituated to humanity..and our camp supplies..and they did not bluff so easy.. that was a scary situation..it lasted for a few minutes..that seemed like hours..and it was my tent that saved me any serious harm.
I've had other encounter with bears over the years..raised one when i was young, and one come out of the back of a cave i had set a camp up in, and we roaped one that tryed scrunching up into a crevace once..but those were years ago, and far away form where i am today.
A griz on the south edge of Yellostone spooked my horses and they ran clear back to Turpin meadows befor they ever slowed down,.. and another griz on another mountian by Two Ochean Pass chased me on a horse and i swear he was faster than my pony...another griz spooked a horse from under me, and i was left face to face with him on a trail on Pacific creek,..he stood on his hind end and woofed, rolling his lips and then droped down and slapped the earth so hard it shook, and i climbed a tree while he watched me ... that was a sphinctor-clincher..
Sorry..i get carried away..thats probably more info than you need or want..huh?




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment