What are some good campsites along the Oregon coast?

best tent camping mt hood on ... some sites at hoodview and gone creek campgrounds on timothy lake in
best tent camping mt hood image



joe g


I'm going to the beach this weekend and I'm looking for a good campsite off the beaten path, and a relatively short drive from Portland. Where would I go to avoid crowds and tourists? I'd like a quiet campsite with just the bare necessities, nothing fancy at all. The further from big towns the better. Preferably one close to the beach, surrounded by forest, good for hiking and good for doing outdoors stuff. Lots of stuff to explore would be great. Pretty and scenic is great too, of course. The cheaper the better, we just need a place to park the car and set up a tent. Anything helps :) thanks guys


Answer
In the summer, it's pretty tough to find anywhere secluded to camp along the Oregon Coast. Pretty much every campgound is well known. Honestly, you will probably have to go to Mt. Hood, Gifford Pinchot or the Gorge and hike into a lake somewhere if you really want seclusion.

As for the coast, I agree that Cape Lookout is a good choice. There is a lot to do there.

Oswald West would be my personal choice, but I think they have the campground closed right now due to some dangerous trees that might fall. You might want to call the state and see what's up. I have camped at Os a bunch of times and it tends to be more outdoor minded people. I hiked in with my backpack, but they have wheelbarrows for your gear. You can watch surfers down there, too.

If you want to be RIGHT ON the beach, there is a state campground called "Beachside Recreation Site" just south of Waldport. It is not that secluded, but it's the best for going to sleep to the sound of the ocean! I have camped here in the fall, after school was back in. It might be crowded/full in the summer.

I also stayed at South Beach campground in a yurt two years ago in the summer. I made the reservation WAY in advance and it was a zoo. There were kids everywhere and it wasn't very calm. However, it was a nice walk to the beach and the $35 yurt was a lot cheaper than any hotel in Newport or Lincoln City.

vacation ideas around Portland, sans car?




chyduck33


I am looking to take a vacation towards the end of the month. I was thinking of camping along the coast at first, but the cost of renting a car seems too much. I would love to get out of the portland area. Are there secret-ish spots nearby that my boyfriend and I could sneak away to for a few days? Seattle was also an idea, we would be taking the train. What is a good wilderness area that is serviceable by greyhound or trimet? Any other ideas?


Answer
Greyhound will take you to Newport on the central coast. Lots to do there and you can rent a car as well and there are plenty of campgrounds. South Beach for one.

Here is the website for Oregon parks and campgrounds for the central coast and keep in mind they do have yurts and cabins at many campgrounds which takes the tent factor out if you'd rather lighten your load a bit.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/searchpark.php?region=central_coast

There are SO many places around Portland to go but you need a car pretty much unless you rode Trimet to the outlying areas to hike and such and then you are limited.

One of the many places to visit are the McMenamins pubs in Oregon. Many have rooms to stay in as well.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php

Map of all of their locations:

http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?region=0

Multnomah falls is great as are all the falls in the Gorge area out east on I-84.

Take a trip out to Mt. Hood (about 50 miles from downtown) and stay at Timberline lodge. You won't regret that trip.

Also the Skamania lodge on the Washington side in the gorge accessed from the Oregon side via exit #44 off of I-84 then take the Bridge of the Gods in Cascade locks over to Stevenson.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment