What was the worst camping trip you've been on?




Isabel





Answer
When I was younger and more foolish my brother and I went on a tent camping trip in the bayou land of Louisiana. The back water comes up in my area and the swamplands flood. So we went by boat and motor for about 10 miles in the swamplands to a ridge I knew would be out of the water.It was in January and it was almost freezing.

The ridge was not under water but the water was higher then I expected. So we pitched the tent, laid out our sleeping bags and went scouting for a good deer stand to take.All seemed to be going well at that time. But when the backwaters are rising sometimes they make inches a day and sometimes a foot or better rise will come into play. And when I say a ridge in the swamplands it may not be but a foot or more higher then the surrounding terrain.

So we went to be bed, snug in our sleeping bags, dreaming about the big hunt we were going on in the morning. But sometime just before daylight the water had gotten into the tent, got us and our sleeping bags wet, with no dry ground to build a fire on to dry out and warm up. The entire ridge was under water. And now we had a ten mile boat ride, while soaking wet and almost freezing.

There is nothing more colder then a boat ride over water while you are wet and the temperature is almost freezing. We almost didn't make it. When we got to the truck, my fingers could not hold the key to unlock the door. It seemed forever before I could get the door open. But a lesson was learned. The hard way.

Where can I go primitive beach camping in Florida?




porkstar3


My wife and I love to camp on the beach. There are numerous places in Texas and Louisiana where you can set up a tent either very close to the sand or on it. Any suggestions?


Answer
You can get a back country permit to camp directly on the beach at Canaveral National Seashore In New Smyrna Beach. This is a "hike in" only location, so may have the entire twelve miles of beach to yourselves.
Most of the locations already mentioned by other answerers are in developed parks and while quite nice, are still developed and you will have plenty of neighbors.

You can also go to Everglades National Park and primitive camp on Cape Sable. You cannot reach this place by car or foot, only by boat.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment