Camping with your dog?




HNC


I'm really interested in taking my pooch camping with me and my boyfriend this summer! He loves to be outside, we go on hikes all the time (now that its getting nicer out here) in my region, and I can see that he really enjoys the great outdoors! Great!

I was just looking to see if anyone wanted to share their experiences? We actually bought a tent last year (before I even had a dog) that has a "pet room" attached to it, which was great for storing food. Now the food will go in the car, and my dog can have his own space in the tent!

I've found a ton of campgrounds that are dog-friendly (except the beaches...awwww), but was hoping to get some general/practical tips from people who have camped with their dogs!

Thanks!
I should also add, since his recall kind of sucks at the moment (will hopefully be better by the summer), he'll be leashed at all times. I was thinking of getting a harness, long lead, and one of those corkscrew things that I can drill into the sand at our campsite? Good idea? He'll be supervised ALWAYS of course!
Lily: I was thinking of that, too. Like canoeing. I don't think I could EVER get my dog to sit still with a life jacket on, in wobbly little boat lol. So I think I'll take him on the trips that will be mostly relaxing/walking/hiking, and we'll leave him home with family when we want to canoe/kayak, etc. It would be pretty funny to try it out though, safely of course.
Amber, funny about the tent! I have a feeling once we get in there with my dog, he's going to think its a "wrestle mania" ring or something lol.
Kelly: LOL, sorry I should have been more specific, we're not back-country camping, just staying at some sites that are within a few hours drive from home, no bears! When we go back country, we have a MUCH smaller tent, and store the food in the "bear lockers"! Thanks for the conern though!
Great idea about the island! Thanks for the canoeing tips too, it would be awesome if I could get him to love it like I do!



Answer
You kept food in your tent??!?!?! Wow that is brave.. are there no bears where you go camping? Just curious because I'd never in a million years keep food in my tent, or anything perfumed or smelly bears have a good sense of smell.

Anyway as for camping with your dog I think it's a great idea! I don't know how big your dog is but those corkscrew things don't work for dogs over 20lbs in my experience. I usually just use a tree to tie my dog up when camping, but be sure to avoid camping under a pine/spruce tree the sap will get in your dogs fur and it is a pain in the rear to get it out! Also be sure to have your dog up to date on vaccinations before you go, wild animals carry disease sometimes and you want to make sure your dog is protected. I'd also suggest bringing toys for your dog to keep him occupied at night so he doesn't chew the tent.. not sure if he would but hey you never know~! better safe than sorry!

As for canoing I was surprised how well my dog behaved in the canoe. I sat in the bottom with him and he was very careful. My dog is calm though so it wasn't too hard! I also don't know where you go camping but with a dog it is AWESOME to go camping on an island in a lake! You can let your dog offleash all day and never worry, my dog doesn't swim so yay! and also there are usually no other big animals on those islands so it is nice to have your dog safe from porcupines and such. I'd highly suggest island camping if you have a dog.... I love it!

West Michigan tent camping?




Karbear316


I am looking for a nice,rural tent camping site to go to with my dog. Does anyone know of any nice place, preferably near a beach that isn't a campground? I don't want to be camping with 500 other people. I would like it even more if there was some hiking to the campsite. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
I have actually been to north manitou island a number of times and that's exactly the kind of camping i'm looking for! Just closer to the Grand Rapids area. Thanks!



Answer
ok, i'm from grand rapids, and i'm a huge backpacker. I've found quite a few places around west michigan. with dogs it's a little more difficult but a great area is the manistee national forest. it's not exactly close to the beach, but you can be assured that you won't see other people where you can camp. camping is available anywhere 150 feet from a trail and 150 feet from water. fires are allowed most of the time depending on the burn conditions, but since it's been a little rainy, they'll be legal. no permit required.

another great place is Ludington State Park. it is near silver lake and includes the silver lake dunes which you can climb. however the hiking and camping is in the southern part of the park. you are allowed to hike and camp same rules as Manistee. The difference between the two is that Ludington is MUCH smaller than Ludington.

the kind of camping you're looking for is called "backcountry camping" and all of it requires hiking to get to the camp sites. however it is more than worth it. if you're willing to drive a little more, there are places all over Michigan that are incredible.

Also look at "pictured rocks", isle royale, north country trail, and North and South Manitou Islands.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment