Camping in Moab Utah?




Amber fg


We are going to Moab March 30th thru April 4. We have 2 kids, 6 and 7 years old. My hubby who is pretty hard core thinks that camping during that time should be fine. I am concerned that it is going to be too cold for the kids at night. He is convinced that the data on weather on the internet is a "lie" and it wont be 35 degrees at night...

Even though the kids are experienced campers/backpackers, I am concerned about them being miserable.

Has anyone camped in a tent, (not an rv) in Moab utah with small kids at this time of year?



Answer
it will be chilly at night, but your kids should be fine. I've been there a little later in the year than that and it was cool, but not terrible. We camped all the time when I was little and as long as they have warm jackets and cozy sleeping bags, kids don't seem to much mind the cold. Wind is the biggest problem there that time of year so make sure you pack good windproof jackets and plenty of bandanas. I've found I needed to wear a headscarf every day and night to keep the constant wind from driving me nuts with my hair getting blown around.

See if you can get a reservation at the Canyonlands campground (a commercial campground, but a nice one) -- they not only have good bath-houses with toilets and hot showers, but have covered areas for setting up your tent, with a picnic table at each site. They also rent small cabins, which might be a good option for such young kids. There is a small shop on the premises, also a small pool and hot tubs, and it is a short walk into town.

http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/

Camping in Utah November 1st?




krazeekarm


I am moving my family across country and to save money I thought we could camp instead of using motels. But some friends have pointed out that it will be cold in the mountains. Is it a relatively good idea to camp in Utah the beginning of November, or not? There are four of us, plus 5 cats. We have a large 10 person tent. Could someone from the area, or experienced in camping give me any advice? Any boy scouts out there?


Answer
If you're talking about Northern Utah, I would say not a good idea. In November it's going to be very cold, especially at night, not to mention there will probably be snow on the ground. Probably a good amount of snow on the ground.

Also, even if there isn't snow, the ground might be too frozen to stake down a tent and you have to consider wind.

All in all, I would say it is going to be more hassle then it is worth. If you're moving in a moving van with extra room, you might could squeeze everyone in the back of that with A LOT of blankets and some hand warmers, but I think a motel would be your best bet.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment