is there some sort of portable water heater?




ashley


is there some sort of portable water heater? for tent camping? there is electricity and water but no hot water


Answer
Of course, you could always heat water in a pan over a campfire, and dilute it with cold water until it is the right temperature.

There is also a "portable shower", basically a dark-colored plastic bag that you leave out in the sun to warm up, then hang up to sprinkle you with warm water.

WHAT TENT SHOULD I USE?




Maureen


I want to go live on the land for a while or when I need to and I want a cheap one person cold weather tent. Also, If I wanted to go "survivor man" and completely live off the land, what are some other things I would need that were cheap. I hate where I am living and I thought while I saved up enough from my job to get my own place, that I would just live outside! :)


Answer
Moe: I have to tell you as someone who has experienced living "outside" that what you are looking for is NOT the way to go about it AT ALL. "CHEAP" is NEVER the answer when your very survival depends on it. The kind of tent you are looking for is called "ALL SEASON" and that usually means NO screened windows or sun roof. Know what I mean? Solid construction to hold up under heavy snows and stand solid during high winds. Not many tents will do that and still be "cheap"! Quite often, it isn't the tent that keeps you warm, but what you use to keep the tent warm. Some sort of heater system is almost ALWAYS a necessity. I don't know where you live or how severe your winters get, but here in Alaska, my regular bag goes down to a 20 degree comfort range and that gets me by. IF I were outdoors in a tent, I would need even more than that. I have slept in my car two nights when the temperatures were -22 one night and -24 the next. Outside on the ground, I would have froze to death. In an unheated tent on the ground? MAJOR threat to life and limb. In a heated tent but still on the ground? Cold and miserable! You WILL need a cot with PLENTY of insulation beneath you besides just a GOOD sleeping bag. (The general rule is for every layer over you, you need three layers beneath you.) Also, I don't know where you live as to where you can pitch a tent and make a livable camp where no one will find it when you are gone. You obviously can't pack it up and take it with you every morning and then pitch it all back up when night comes and you need to get out of the weather. Living in a LARGE tent can be made comfortable for extended periods of time. (Been there ~ Done that for 9 months.) Living in a one man portable pup tent during the winter months is not practical, not comfortable, and not advisable. You WILL suffer! As much as you "hate" where you are living, if you live long enough, you will hate living in a small tent in the winter even more. Likewise, "living off the land" in the winter is one of the hardest times to do so. Plant life is covered with snow. Many would-be meals of small game become illusive and reclusive to the point of almost being completely NOT available. Campfires become targets for the curious, like rangers, police officers, game wardens, and hikers, not to mention homeless wanderers who prey on each other to survive. You can't store most common foods because they freeze. Camp robbers come in several different forms...two legged and four. Most dry foods become the quest of rodents like squirrels, chipmunks, rats and mice as well as crows, ravens and jays. You can't be there to guard them 24/7. Sooner or later, they WILL find them. You would be safer and FAR better off buying a used van and finding a safe place to park it where you won't be disturbed. At least then you can lock up your personal effects when you are at work. You can lock yourself in at night. You can sleep sound and secure without fear that a heavy snow over night will collapse your walls around you. And you won't have to worry about leaking tent roofs from moisture condensing on the inside of the tent, or melting fabric walls because you bumped the heater in your sleep and your tent is about to catch on fire. I sympathize with your situation, but in ALL honesty, I do NOT believe you would be better off going ahead with the plans you have outlined here. There really IS a better way. I hope you take it. Good luck.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment