Best places to camp in Ohio? (State Parks)?




Andrew L


I am planning on going camping in October with 3 other people on a weekend, so I'd like to find a place in Ohio so it won't be too far off (I live near Columbus).

I'd like to find a place with cool trails that offers (preferably) non-electric tent camping sites. I don't want RV camping or places that are too man-made.

I camped at Hocking Hills State Park and loved it, so something similar to that (but NOT that - we want to find a new area) would be cool.
Also, any good parks that are close to Ohio in bordering states would be good. michigan, indiana, west virginia, kentucky, whatever



Answer
Walk About Campgrounds south of Zanesville Ohio were a Great place for us to camp . Our teen grandson loved it and we had a great time too. We rented a cabin and there are trails and lots of scenery and no one near the two cabins.

Primitive Camping Around NW Ohio.?




Jared and


We have a pop up camper and all we need is a pump for water, a outhouse, fire ring, and dumpster. I don't want a large campground I have tried Indiana's, Ohio's, and Michigan's state sites and maybe I am not looking in the right place. I am from Oregon and used to BLM camping you pull in put your money in a slot and usually don't see more than one or two people the whole time you are there. We want to go camping next year we didn't go this year because we are sick of crowded places.
I dont want electric, flushing toilets, a water hookup, showers, a pool. I really dont care if we have to bring in our own water and take out our own trash. I want a fire ring and a outhouse.



Answer
Hi!
This may not help much, I don't have an Ohio map in front of me .I moved here (Oregon) from Ohio, and remember what a struggle it was to find quiet camping. Hocking Hills is great, or the park near Cleves (Miami something Park? less great, but site 13 is quiet) Other than that, not sure. They have a different idea of camping in Ohio, less wildernessy, far less primitive (they don't have much protected land left) and private. I know what you mean, the facilities are unimportant if the site and park are about nature loveliness. The area around Blue Creek, near Peebles, has some cool caves and streams, maybe there are parks in the region. Good Luck!

By the way, I am going tent/car camping tomorrow, want to head away from Portland to a warm lake, but am weary of RT. 26 and 84, and the Mt. Hood area. Any ideas or places that stand out as stellar /low elevation (we want a warm quiet lake) within 2 or 3 hours that you recall?

I do remember heading out of Ohio to fulfill nature needs. Hocking Hills is a highlight, but may be far way for you, but Red River Gorge in KY is lovely, and has good tent camping for those who want to be away from RV'S and other things of man. I spent a week there once, resting after the Appalachian Trail. Lots to see, cool rock formations, and creeks. Best to you!.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment