Portable vs. Window air conditioners?




Miss Magen


I have a window A/C downstairs in my home that cools the entire downstairs very well. I need one for upstairs but there is no central window that would cool the entire area. I was hoping to purchase a portable A/C that could stay in the hallway. What is the difference between the two? Everyone keeps telling me that portable A/C is not worth it, but they don't elaborate. Do these still need to be vented somehow? Help?


Answer
Window air conditioners are the best in my own personal opinion, i have had both before and window model generally work better than portable ones, i used to have a old portable one that i would take camping and use it in my tent, i would call it The Swamp Cooler because i used to watch M.A.S.H. all the time on t.v., and they called the tent The Swamp, i've had newer models as well but window models always worked best, but the truth is no matter how much advice you get it's best to learn for yourself what one you like best.

Camping>>>Where can I find a mini battery powered A/C or A/C fan for tent?




Alpha Geru


I am going camping a few times this year and plan to buy a couple cots to make sleeping easier this year. I need a REALLY good battery powered fan, or definatly an mini Air conditioner for my tent. Can any one help me out? I dont wanna spend more than $70 on it. And I am only getting picky because everywhere we have camped there are like 20 ppl around being loud every morning at 6 or 7am, leads to me staying up with my company til 4am to get the most quiet time out of the trip>> in need of actual sleep when i go camping.


Answer
Coleman makes a number of battery-powered tent fans, see the link below. I've used the ceiling fan model, and it works okay. But with any small fan, don't expect a lot of air flow.

As for air conditioners, you won't find any conventional air conditioner that runs off of batteries; even a small generator can't start an air conditioner. What is possible is to buy or build a swamp cooler. A traditional swamp cooler uses a fan to blow air across/through a mesh or fabric panel that is saturated with water. The blowing air causes the water to evaporate, reducing the air temperature. The traditional evaporative swamp cooler only works well in dry (low humidity) weather.

An alternate design is to simply make or buy a panel that fits tightly on top of an ice cooler with a fan and vent. You fill the cooler with ice and the fan sucks warm air from your tent, it is cooled by the ice, and then exits through the vent. There are several pre-made products you can add to a standard cooler to get you up and going, but these are easily made at home from a piece of rigid foam insulation, a 12V computer cooling fan and some wiring.

Both types of swamp coolers would require a 12V power source, either from your car battery or a portable power pack.

Link below for 12V ice-chest air conditioner.
.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment