My son's father passed away in a car crash 2005 he has decided to join the military.?




Leigh Ann


My son is 25 years old and has made the decision to join the Navy he will be leaving for boot camp Nov. 6th. After boot camp he will be going to school for submarines. I'm am having a going away party, bbq on my spacious back deck we're also using a 20 by 20 tent behind the deck and utilizing our brand new 12 by 24 garage in case of bad weather. I am planing this picinic for Sept. 29. We live in the Poconos of Pa and it may be chilly. I would like to do a red, white and blue theme and incorporate a Christmas theme since he will miss this very special occasion. I'm at a loss and need help with setting up a menu and music since the ages vary from 20 thru 50. This is a very special day and I would like everything to be simple. We are looking at possibly having 50 to 80 guests. I would like to do the food myself. I have enough fridge space and time. I just need ideas for what kind of menu. I have a very big grill. My second son who is seventeen will be leaving for the Navy July 15, 2008.


Answer
Wow, you must be a proud mother! You have such courageous sons! I think it's wonderful that your throwing him a going away party. I love the red, white and blue theme. Your son's joined a good branch of service. I think it's also very sweet of you to celebrate Christmas early for him. You should have your Christmas tree set up and decorations as well. Have Christmas songs playing in your house to give it that warm feeling. Also, exchange gifts with him as it was Christmas Eve. That way, when that day comes....he won't feel sad and alone....because he's already celebrated it with you! He will love that and I am sure it will mean soooo much to him. If you want to follow through with the celebrating holidays early for him....maybe you should do a Thanksgiving dinner....or prepare his favorite dish for him (only you know what that is).

If you don't do the Thanksgiving Dinner:

You should have deviled eggs...everyone loves those and they are really easy to make. Chips and Dip are a must. Finger foods are the best for people of all ages. Patato salad. Oooh, a chocolate and cheese fondue would be great! Make sure not to forget the cake....you should get a cake with a picture of your son. If you can, gather home videos (non-embarassing) of your son and share them with your friends and family. Have a speech ready for him and tell him why you're proud that he is your son.

FYI- keep in touch with his recruiter because they have all the information you need.....(address to write him, graduation information...etc.) They will guide you and let you know everything you need to know about him. Trust me....boot camp is a peice of cake....I think it's 3 months and time flies fast. Also, in those 3 months while he is gone, look into tickets to fly where he is inbootcamp (if it's not in the same city or state) so you can see him graduate. It's soooo important for you to be there....trust me! It's the best feeling in the world! :) Good luck and God Bless you and your sons!

Best place in the Poconos to rent a cabin/house/apartment for a week in August?




DBM


My family (my wife and me, our daughter and her husband and our young adult son) are interested in renting a cabin and/or house and/or apartment in the Poconos for a week in August. Although we would love something rustic, we would like to be at a lake and with a pool. It would be best if there was good hiking nearby as well. Where is the best location to look?


Answer
DBM,

I can tell you where NOT to stay! That's Split Rock Resort. They have had a lot of financial problems over the past 10yrs and the place has really gotten run down.

The rooms are old and out-dated in the Galleria and even if you get in to Willow Brook (newer townhouses - but those units can have water problems) the ammenities are lousy and can have unpredictable hours. They put in a new water park just a couple of years ago, but it's over priced and kinda cheesy.

If you mean August of 2014 - My vote would be Knoebels! http://www.knoebels.com/index.php/camping They have tent camping and they also have really neat cabins! And Knoebel's is a great place for a family vacation. It's an amusement park, so I don't think it qualifies as "rustic", but c'mon! Who doesn't like to camp in the middle of an amusement park! I think the best time is early in the morning - you can walk thru the park before it opens and see all the stuff you don't get a chance to see when there's a bazillion people in the park! There are other things to do in the area, you don't have to do *just* Knoebels. You can do all kinds of other day trips.

It's not exactly in "The Pocono's" but my husband and I really enjoy going over to World's End State Park. They have rustic cabins you can rent that are really nice. They have a stove, fridge and elec, but no water and heat is a wood stove. Great hiking trails, good fishing. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/worldsend/index.htm

I've never gone, but I hear Great Wolf is kid friendly! http://www.greatwolf.com/poconos/waterpark




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment