Is it necessary to buy my dog a mini camping tent?




Sam


I like to bring my dog camp with me, should I buy him a camping dog tent?


Answer
No no no no. Dogs are pack orientated animals. The best thing to do is have him/her sleep in the tent with you. He/She will be 10x happier. Remember, dogs aren't humans, they don't really care for "me" and "mine" unless it pertains to food. So do your puppy a favor, and show him you still love him ;D

Dogs. Camping. Quiet Hours.?




cjrossi


Now that we're back in camping country for the 1st time since we got our dogs, we'd like to take our dogs camping with us - but our only worry is that they will bark at night - we anticipate that they'll hear noises, other dogs etc. and bark after quiet hours.

The dogs are small enough to easily fit in our tent, so we can quickly stop them, but we don't know how we're going to be able to PREVENT them

Any ideas based on personal experience on how to 'socialize' and train your dog for the camping experience?

We'll probly do a dry run in our backyard ... looking for other ideas/solutions.



Answer
I've canoed and camped with my dogs for the last 10 years. I have 3 large dogs in my tent with me.
I've found what works best is having them leashed in my tent - firstly, to prevent them from getting too excited in the tent and secondly, I don't want them wrecking the mesh on the door if the decide to charge out.

I have found they get most excited over chipmunks. But honestly, I've found they all adjust to the nighttime noises and cannot think of a time they began to bark in the night hours. They run around all day and are all exhausted by nighttime.

Socialization is just going and doing - unless you want to practice by pitching a tent in your backyard and sleeping in it - myself, I cannot be bothered.

My dogs are 11, 7 and 4 - and each one started the same way. They will bark at people making too much noise or other dogs -I stay out of public places and canoe in the backcountry - where people are at least spaced a good distance apart. If you are camping in a campground surrounded by people in tent trailers - good luck with peace and quiet. It will be a zoo and your dogs will fit right in

********************
I would not use a bark collar - as others point out, if there really is something to be concerned about you want your dog to alert you. I have had a bear outside my tent once, and was glad I have them leashed inside the tent - nothing worse than a run-a-way tent.
******************
FWIW, the first time I took my rescue GSD - she didn't want to get in the tent. Then once she did, i cannot get her out! They become very acclimated to the routine and even though the tent is soft it is a psychological barrier -

Dogs adjust to nighttime sounds like people do - its something that only through practice they learn.
****************
Never give your dogs food or bones inside the tent - it invites wildlife. I do bring bones for my dogs and they chew them outside - I make sure they are not left hanging around for raccoons and other critters.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment