Which trail should I take for a 5-day Arizona primative camping trip?

best tent camping georgia on The Best In Tent Camping: The Southern Appalachian & Smoky Mountains ...
best tent camping georgia image



Canebrake


I live in Decatur, Georgia, next to Atlanta, and am planning a solo 5-day primative camping trip in early October within 100 miles of Flagstaff. My criteria are:

--water

--seclusion

--much beauty

--strenuous is OK, maybe preferred

--bonus: good side trails, especially historic ones.

Iâve looked at 3 AZ trail books, & narrowed my choices to 5: Fossil Springs, West Clear Creek, Secret Canyon, Bell, and Kelsey-Dorsey. (BUT, I'm VERY open to other suggestions.)

Iâm an experienced backpacker, with little experience in the West. Last fall, I spent 3 days with a buddy at Phantom Ranch--down North Kaibab, back up Bright Angel. 1st time at G.C. & 1st AZ trip ever.

I understand that some of these 5 are popular, but secluded on weekdays, especially in Oct. True? I'd appreciate any suggestions you have--the more broad and detailed, the better. Thanks so much.



Answer
Do the S.Bass > Tonto > Boucher Loop hike n GCNP
Do it in that direction Pay for a ride out to the S. Bass trail-head .
Navigating the West Tonto Trail will be a major challenge for you Trade tent weight for water carrying capacity and have a great time
Don't F** k Up ! because if you get hurt between S. Bass & Boucher there will be nobody out there to rescue you.

Should I just use a bivy sack or do I need a full blown tent?




jos2thehua


I live in Georgia(state) and I want to go camping during this fall/winter time. I was wondering if I need to buy a full blown tent or if a bivy sack would be efficient enough for me to stay the night in. The length of camping time will vary from 2-5 days.


Answer
I have never used a bivy sack, always a small 2-man tent. I don't think a bivy would be as good in cold weather, from about 30F on down, or in the wind. I know I would not want to be in a bivy in the snow or rain. I use a 2-man tent so I got room for my pack and a little room to move around in. A tent for backpacking isn't much heavier or larger when packed than a bivy. But some guys swear by them. Borrow a bivy if you know anyone that has one and sleep in your back yard a night or two to see how it suits you.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment