Has anyone ever been to Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary in South Dakota?

best tent camping black hills on Brushy Creek Campground & Resort, Black, MO Arcadia Valley
best tent camping black hills image



KC


My family is planning a trip to South Dakota. I would like to know if this place is any good.


Answer
I've been to the Black Hills. It's a pretty interesting place. As for Wild Horse Sanctuary, I haven't actually visited it. A friend of mine enjoyed it, but then she also is an avid lover of horses.

If you're heading in that direction, the Badlands would be a pretty interesting pit stop. It's worth the drive through the park, especially is you do a night drive. The Badlands is incredibly spooky at night and the stars are extra clear and bright. Also, if you camp in the badlands, expect the winds to nearly knock your tent over. The Black Hills are more lush and beautiful, and there's some amazing camping areas in Custer State Park within the Black Hills themselves - nice hot showers complete with metal stalls are available in that particular park. Crazy Horse Monument is pretty neat as is Mount Rushmore. There's a cave - Wind Cave, but it wasn't all that impressive. Those are the places I've seen in South Dakota.

Are there any bears or other wild animals in the Appalachian mountains?

Q. My college, Frostburg State University, is surrounded by these mountains. The college campus is touching the West Virginia and Maryland border. As far as I can see, there is green scenery and long hills. I was wondering if it's safe to go hiking on these mountains? The view from one of my halls is amazing; I just want to run out there. Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge.



My college is near the West Virginia and Maryland border.


Answer
Wild animals would include: SNAKES, frogs, toads, turtles, salamanders, all sorts of birds, raccoons, skunks, chipmunks, squirrels, voles, moles, mice, opposums, deer, and black bear. As long as you keep your distance from the skunks and avoid female bears with cubs it is quite safe. People hike the Appalachian Trail all the time. I have backpacked in that area myself and black bears have thoroughly checked out our packs. The key is DO NOT bring any food into the tent and store it hanging high off the ground suspended from ropes BETWEEN two trees so that the bears can not get to it. OR if you are camping leave the food IN the car with the windows ALL THE WAY UP. I would worry more about rattlesnakes than bears.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment