What are the laws about camping in the woods in Ohio?

best tent camping ohio on Thousand Trails Deal of the Day | Groupon Portland
best tent camping ohio image



Jeff


I'm planning to go camping in the hills around my University, but there isn't an established campground. Are there any legal issues with just hiking into the woods and throwing up a tent to spend the night? There wouldn't be anything illicit going on, just a couple of folks who like sleeping in a tent.


Answer
Find out who controls jurisdiction and seek permission as well as a description of any applicable regulations. As the 99% protests demonstrate, the authorities tolerate tent erection differently depending on the political atmosphere and perceived threat of the activity. Last year summer, my employer, county government, forced us to work with 2.5 hour unpaid lunches. My protest was erection of a tent and taking naps during these extreme lunch periods. Eventually, the Office of the Sheriff seized my tent and informed me that an erection of any duration is a violation. I paid a fifty dollar fine, which worked-out to less than five dollars a day. My employer has rescinded the 2.5 hours unpaid lunches for next summer. I take credit for being the first of the 99% protests and raising awareness of abuse of the workforce.

What to bring on a bicycle trip from ohio to california?




Jericho


I have a trek 4300 series mountain bike, is this a good bike to use? I intend to camp both legally and illegally. How to train. I also wish to ride back. Thank you:)


Answer
Tips:-

1) I keep my toilet roll and handwash together in a plastic zip bag. Then I always wash my hands when I go to the loo - no germs, you don't get ill

2) The antibac dry handwash I use requires no water and I use it all the time - all the time before eating or handling food, again no germs you don't get ill.

3) I have one stuff sack that I keep all my stuff that I need in the lodge of an evening (toilet roll, book, hat, gloves, mp3 player, wate rtreatment, ear plugs, notepad and pen, headtorch, etc). When I arrive at a lodge I get a room, lay out my sleeping bag, change into dry clothes, put on my down jacket, grab my evening stuff sack and put on my down slippers if I have them. Then when you go into the dining room you have everything you need. I don't need to go back to the room to get my headtorch or any more warm clothing, or loo roll to go to the toilet. I can hang my clothes out to dry, kick back and relax. Read my book, listen to music, write my journal without having to go to and fro. This has taken a bit of practice though and always on the first few days of a trip I have got the list wrong and have to make a few extra trips to the room.

4) If it is cold and the foam mattresses on the bed are a bit thin I try and get a room on my own and steal the foam mattress from the other bed to double up

5) If it is cold, wear only thermal underwear to bed (you need to warm the bag with your body to be warm), run around or on the spot before you go to bed and get into your bag warm (you get in cold you will be cold), wear a hat and put your down jacket over the top of your sleeping bag (don't wear it)

6) At drink stops and lunch stops, take off your shoes and socks, take out your insoles from your shoes/boots and dry them in the sun, look after your feet and they will look after you.

7) When ascending at altitude take little steps and you will find it easier going

8) From breakfast through to late afternoon (around 3 to 4pm) drink lots and lots (4-5 litres plus if you can). I drink a litre as soon as I get out of bed. That way you will be well hydrated but hopefully avoid having to get up in the middle of the night. Note you only know you are hydrated when your pee is clear. If it isn't keep drinking until it is.

9) If I am having difficulty dropping off to sleep I take half a ibuprofen and it helps me to drop off (an old mountaineers trick). If you are worried at all about masking a headache and AMS then don't do it.

10) Take half an aspirin a couple of times a day, it will help to thin your blood.

11) Monitor your pulse rate. This is how I tell I am acclimatised. For example your resting pulse rate might be 60. Your resting, acclimatised pulse rate at altitude might be 80. Your pulse rate will increase even when resting while you are acclimatising to probably somewhere over 100. Learn how your pulse operates and you will start to work out when you are acclimatised. Here is how it works for me:-

For instance if I trek up Namche hill to Namche, when I arrive I will check my pulse, it is normally 80 while acclimatising at this height. After 8 hours it will go down to 60. This is my resting pulse for around this height. I know at this point I am acclimatised (see above for disclaimer)!

12) I prefer to cover up than plaster myself in sunblock. I wear a long sleeved high necked merino top and brimmed sun hat which means I don't have to put any sunblock on unless I am walking on snow. Then the reflections off the snow mean it is important to put sunblock on your face and when really high even up your nostrils! Sunburnt nostrils are no fun I can tell you!

13) I always wrap some gaffa/duck tape around my trekking pole. You can repair everything with it from tent poles, holes in tents to treating blisters (I have done this on my own blisters as I found this stuff was the only thing that stuck to my feet, regular blister treatements didn't work for me).

14) You may notice the lack of toiletries! Well merino wool is the secret you can wear it for weeks and you don't stink, honestly!


I hope this is of some help to some of you.

So come on you experienced trekkers please add you hints and tips for the newbies out there.

Happy trekking everyone!
check it out
http://basecamptrekking.com




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment