Lowest safe temperature during winter camping?

best tents for winter camping on Index of /wp-content/uploads/2012/03
best tents for winter camping image



Eric


I'm going winter camping this weekend, and I was wondering what the lowest safe temperature was to be camping in a tent. It's supposed to get to -15 (Celcius) and the heater we have is unreliable at best. Also I have doubts about how well this has all been planned. Exactly how dangerous would it be to be out there at this temperature (I'm planning to sleep in two sleeping bags an 2 hoodies)


Answer
Even 40-50*F can be dangerous if you are not prepared, get wet with no fire and no change of clothes then you`re in danger of getting some serious hypothermia. What I am saying is even mild conditions can be dangerous if you are not Prepared.

All you need to do is where a hat, since a majority of heat is lost from your dome and where gloves to protect your fingertips. Of course you`ll need to dress in layers, a close light wicking layer then get progressively heavier. Also, dont wear too many socks, if your boot is too tight lose a pair of socks if you are wearing multiples. If your compress the insulation in your boot it becomes useless, also a tight boot cuts circulation off to your feet, even a small amount of loss can cause your feet to become ice cubes. Allow room for pockets of warm air to be trapped. When you sleep boil some water and put it in a Nalgene or some other reliable water bottle and sleep with it, throw one in your sleeping bag to preheat your bag, it`ll save you from having to use your body to heat the bag.

This site should help you: http://www.wintercampers.com/

Has anyone gone camping in the winter? With just a tent and a sleeping bag?




Vincent


How was your experience? Did you get too cold at night?
I have always gone camping in the summer, but I wish to try hiking in the winter. My son bought me a 0 degree sleeping bag for Christmas, and I already have a good tent, so I'm thinking about taking a 60 mile hiking trip in the mountains, I have hiked this trail before, so I have experience with hiking, but never during the winter. Right now the low gets around 25 degrees, with the high in the 40's. I have never tried this before, so I was wondering about other peoples experience with winter camping.
Thank you.



Answer
I used the site when planning my own winter camping trip and it was priceless! It genuinely will have the answer to any possible question you may have about a winter camping trip.

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/winter/wintcamp.shtml




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment