How many states have you been too?and which states.?

best tent camping near philadelphia on Twin Rivers Campground, Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina
best tent camping near philadelphia image
Q. I am 16 and I have only been to two other states other then were I live
and they were just border states
so I have pretty much been stuck here in the most boring state in the world my whole life

my parents are homebodies and they never want to go anywhere and plus my dad works seems like all the time


Answer
Good question. I've lived in Michigan, New York, and California, and have been to all the states at one time or other, but my objective now is to <sleep> in as many as I can <in a tent>.

Have vacationed In Hawaii, but never camped there. Went on a camping trip to Alaska last year, also passing through the Yukon, British Columbia, Manitoba, and several western states.

Went on a 6-month, 24,000-mile camping trip two years ago that was a big circle around the U.S., trying to visit national parks & monuments, as well as Civil War & Revolutionary War sites such as Gettysburg & Valley Forge.

Have only crossed North Dakota on a train once, and have only driven through Kentucky on road trips between Michigan & Florida. Only passed through Kansas & Nebraska on trains, or flew in briefly on business trips. Want to spend some time in West Virginia, although I've been to Harper's Ferry several times.

For sleeping in a tent on camping trips, I still need to go to these states: Hawaii, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, Wisconsin (although I drove through there two years ago but did not stay overnight), Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, South Carolina, Rhode Island (which I also passed through), West Virginia.

Have slept outdoors in all the others, but for Delaware, it was just an overnight near I-95 between Philadelphia & Washington.

I only discovered camping a few years ago, and I wish I'd started a lot sooner. It's a lot of fun, and you can see as much of the country as you want, for very little money. When you have a break from school -- maybe after graduation -- get some friends together and plan a long trip. If someone has a minivan, four of you can go for as long as you want. Buy the equipment, and put a Thule or Yakima box on the roof rack. Split the costs 4 ways. Gas will be the big expense, but $2.40 per gallon is only 60 cents when split. Do your own cooking at the campsites, and buy fast food for lunch along the road. If you plan it right, you can do it, and it will be a trip you'll never forget.

How do you go camping (I've never been)?




askerthon1


I live in Philadelphia and wanna go camping next weekend with my bf when he comes to town (It'd be really hot to f*ck outdoors and sleep naked under the stars). I don't own a tent or a lantern or anything that has to do with camping...should I just forget about it? I really don't have much money to blow...and I don't know where we'd go...

If you say camping is a no-go, do you have any other ideas for things to do? We've already been 4x4-ing, shooting and crabbing....so I'm at a loss as to what to plan....
@Peter: That the bird is the word?



Answer
My college always had tents we could rent, along with assorted supplies like camp stoves, lanterns and coffee pots. Rent all and we were out like $11 a day. You could even rent a canoe if you wanted. (Don't, canoes are a pain.)

Rent some gear, let Wal-Mart or if you don't mind dumping some money, REI set you up with some sleeping bags. Take some basic tools, take some canned goods, you can even take stuff from your own kitchen if it can handle natural gas heat it'll get from the camp stove.

You can pick up ice chests for next to nothing at your local convenience store.

One of my dumb, favorite camp meal specials is to simply brown some ground beef, and add a can of Ranch Style Beans.

Don't forget a mutlitool, first aid kit, toilet paper and a shovel. The latter you can pick up at an army-navy surplus store, ask for an entrenching tool, you know where to get the former. They go hand in hand.

Just for another idea, there's a couple places near me that rent RV campers small enough to be towed behind a small car. I was always partial to the Chalet RV's that I could tow behind my little Jeep Wrangler. They rent for about as much as a motel room does per night.

http://www.chaletrv.com/

And for the love of all things Holy, I wish Peter would put The Bird in a suppository configuration. Presumably, next to his head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4fpTpTDSqs

D




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment