Camping in Michigan. Where can we legally pitch our tent? South West Michigan Camping.?

best tent camping upper peninsula on ... camping equipment rental as camping tents camping mattress sleeping
best tent camping upper peninsula image



Edward M


We are looking for some woods and water in SouthWest Michigan where we can legally camp. We definitely don't want a packed campsite with showers and electricity. We want the full blown nature experience. Where are we allowed to camp? Does anyone know how that works? Any good websites? Any suggestions or advice? We want a place where we can park the car, hike into the deep woods and pitch our tent next to a lake or river. I don't know the laws for camping. What do I need to look for?

Thank you very much for your help.

Ed



Answer
What you're describing is called "backpacking." It is the best way to camp, explore, and enjoy the outdoors, because you're entirely on your own, carrying everything your need to survive (at least for a few days) on your back.

Michigan Hiking Guide

Wide Awake on Lake Michigan - Sleeping Bear Dunes has lush forests, level trails, 400-foot bluffs, vast sandy beaches - and you thought the midwest was just cornfields. http://www.nps.gov/slbe/

Across Isle Royale by Foot - The Greenstone Ridge runs along the spine of Michigan's Isle Royale National Park. Located in Lake Superior and accessible only by ferry or seaplane, Isle Royale is beyond the reach of the auto.
http://www.nps.gov/isro

Michigan's Ottawa National Forest - Great northern forest of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/ottawa/

Hiawatha National Forest - Old Indian and trading trails and a significant portion of the North Country National Scenic Trail.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/hiawatha/

Pictured Rocks SP:
http://www.nps.gov/piro/

What are some really good primitive campgrounds in NY state?




Bonnie V


I'm looking for some good spots to tent camp in New York State...

I am REALLY sick and tired of the "outdoor hotels" that I have been to in the past, where there are loud families right up next to you with boom boxes and cell phones blaring. I like the idea of bathroom facilites, and a fire pit, but jeez, I don't need organized volleyball games and a heated pool! I'm talking PRIMITIVE camping...(I know the Adirondacks are great, but where in the Adirondacks?? I don't want anyplace with a pool or family activities! I don't want to be able to hear anything except the wind through the trees!) I'm desperate, as many camping websites say "secluded", but it's never true!! (the last one said that, and the site next to ours had a fire pit literally FOUR FEET AWAY from ours...I was really bummed.) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

PS. My camping friends and I are VERY respectful of nature, and never litter, always keeping the place looking exactly how we found it. (so if you have a favorite remote spot, we'll never be the ones to ruin it!)



Answer
Camp a map and hike into the back country if you want a primitive experience...I used to do that all the time when I lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan...

There are no primitive campgound run by the NY parks deparment...




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment