What are some good campsites along the Oregon coast?

best tent camping mt hood on ... the car, while the boyfriend picks up supplies for the camping trip
best tent camping mt hood image



joe g


I'm going to the beach this weekend and I'm looking for a good campsite off the beaten path, and a relatively short drive from Portland. Where would I go to avoid crowds and tourists? I'd like a quiet campsite with just the bare necessities, nothing fancy at all. The further from big towns the better. Preferably one close to the beach, surrounded by forest, good for hiking and good for doing outdoors stuff. Lots of stuff to explore would be great. Pretty and scenic is great too, of course. The cheaper the better, we just need a place to park the car and set up a tent. Anything helps :) thanks guys


Answer
In the summer, it's pretty tough to find anywhere secluded to camp along the Oregon Coast. Pretty much every campgound is well known. Honestly, you will probably have to go to Mt. Hood, Gifford Pinchot or the Gorge and hike into a lake somewhere if you really want seclusion.

As for the coast, I agree that Cape Lookout is a good choice. There is a lot to do there.

Oswald West would be my personal choice, but I think they have the campground closed right now due to some dangerous trees that might fall. You might want to call the state and see what's up. I have camped at Os a bunch of times and it tends to be more outdoor minded people. I hiked in with my backpack, but they have wheelbarrows for your gear. You can watch surfers down there, too.

If you want to be RIGHT ON the beach, there is a state campground called "Beachside Recreation Site" just south of Waldport. It is not that secluded, but it's the best for going to sleep to the sound of the ocean! I have camped here in the fall, after school was back in. It might be crowded/full in the summer.

I also stayed at South Beach campground in a yurt two years ago in the summer. I made the reservation WAY in advance and it was a zoo. There were kids everywhere and it wasn't very calm. However, it was a nice walk to the beach and the $35 yurt was a lot cheaper than any hotel in Newport or Lincoln City.

Help w/ campgrounds in OR.???!!!!?




Christina


My boyfriend and I are looking for camp sites (tent camping) in OR. They need to be affordable, have restroom facilities, showers (would be nice but not mandatory), a fire pit, and most of all FUN!! We are considering Loon Lake Recreation Center, Rogue River, or Mt. Hood...are these any good?? Any suggestions on specific campgrounds would be appreciated! Thanks! :o)


Answer
I have done tons of camping in Oregon. The only public camp grounds that I have stayed at that has every thing you are asking for and I can say anything about from experience is these. Cove Palisades State Park in Central Oregon. Fort Steven's State Park near Astoria, and Barview Jetty County Park outside of Tillamook. All of my camping experience in or around Mount Hood has been off the beaten path and more "primitive"

The three above are all tremendously fun. All three have everything you are asking for, including showers. My personal favorite is the one at Barview Jetty. Here is why. I am a fishermen and the fishing is good here. You can catch various types of fish from the jetty. You can even buy a device that attaches to you fishing pole to catch crab. I would make a seafood feast of fish and crab at the end of the day for dinner. They have fish cleaning stations here that make it easy to do. Just up the road from the campground (walking distance) is a small store where you can buy bait, beer and even pizza! I will post links for all three that tell you more specifics about them, what there is to do, how much they cost, etc. Have fun!

http://www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/parks/Campgrounds.htm

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_179.php

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_32.php




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment