Am I allowed to set up a tent and camp anywhere in Maine?

best tent camping maine on Best of BACKPACKER - Time-Tested Gear: Tents | Backpacker Magazine
best tent camping maine image



cory s


I am going to Maine next week and I have a cabin that I am renting for a few days. But the other days I am going to just pitch a tent somewhere. All I can find online are designated camp grounds and laws for in the camp grounds. Is it legal to camp anywhere?


Answer
No it is not legal to camp "anywhere". You have never been able to camp anywhere but used to be able to do so in a lot more places a few years ago then now. The number of places throughout the vast paper company owned lands that you are allowed to camp has diminished greatly over the past few years. Aside from established campgrounds that you pay a fee for there are also still quite a few designated campsites throughout the forest lands that allow camping. The best source for this information is the Maine "Gazetteer" from Delorme, it provides a lot of information on campsites from primitive ones to the fee ones.

Be certain you know before you pitch your tent. You do not want to be charged with trespassing. Unless you are going to Northern areas of the state and want to do some primitive camping I would suggest camping at one of the many State parks, some of them have some good tent sites, not all allow camping though.

Fell free to shot me a message if I can try to help more if I am familiar with the particular area of the state you are going.

Does anyone know of a good but cheap or good priced Tent Camping Site in the North East Coast?




tuki27


Okay, I am a broke college student who is trying to have a good time for spring break but not spend too much money. Me and 3 of my friends are looking to stay at a camp site. We are from NJ and are looking to stay at either Southern Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, or even Virginia (Northern). Can someone help me out with a safe, fun, cool place???
Thank you!



Answer
i don't know much about camp sites around those areas, but the average of what i've seen from the east cost to the west cost, Maine to Alaska, its about $15 a night




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment