What makes these brands of camping gear worth the price?

Q. I've been to REI and other sporting good stores in search for camping gear in particularly tents. I see brands like Kelty, North Face, and Eureka and have seen their tents and to be honest, I don't see the reason for such a high price for these tents. Some are as much as $500 and I just don't get it. Some say it's the quality but I've been camping for over 20 years and my Coleman tent has held up in pretty harsh weather including heavy rain stroms and even snow and my coleman cost me about $100. I even have a Ozark Trail tent that has held up and never leaked. So what's the rationalation for such high prices? I don't get it. I have friends who say the quality is better yet they always seem to buying new tents every year and I've had my Coleman and Ozark for almost 8 years now and I camp about four to five times a year so they get used. s the quality that much better?


Answer
Agreed that the weight factor is a primary point. Any Coleman will weight more than any REI tent, in tent for tent comparison. Quality is also an Important issue, yes I can find a $40 dollar tent that weighs almost the same as a $400 tent but zippers fail, material fails, seams leak and who are you gonna call and complain to. REI stands by what they sell as does Coleman and they have a proven record in review products. Also look at what are professional guides using, here they want happy campers to return and use their services. If they were to put them in a tent that leaks, rips and falls down in a squall, that camper won't be back so again. You really do pay for what you get. If your buddies are buying new gear every year they are probably very hard on their gear and don't take good care of it. I have Coleman products and REI products that I have had for well over 10 years and all have served me well only because I take good care of them.

I agree with you that in some common tent designs like a simple dome or family cabin tent prices are ridiculously high for a name brand. Then you should consider dollar for dollar on it's guarantees and performance. In a family sized cabin tent used in car camping a Coleman tent will out perform anything out there at around $200 for their best tent. In a REI family tent double or even triple the price and you get less tent as well.

Does anyone have instructions for the Northwest Territory 15x16 Family Cabin with screened in porch?? ?




Kayla Smit


Or the model number?


Answer
Tents go up. You may want to consider a couple of smaller tents if you are having difficulties. Coleman has a few instant tents that may be suitable for your intended type of camping. Instant Tent 8, $200, two-room, cabin tent is very fast set-up. Research reviews before you purchase a tent. Northwest Territory has some nasty reviews for first-time assembly and sturdiness of design.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment