Funny/Bad camping experiences?




Ciara





Answer
Time: November 2006
Place:Deer Camp James Port Missouri

It had been raining most of the day, it was cold, dad and I had come back to camp after a pretty uneventful day of hunting white tail in the rain. No luck. We wanted a cup of coffee, but there was really no way to light the stove in the rain, so what does dad do, take the stove in the tent. Why not the tent is fire resistant, it should be fine. It is important to note that the stove we had at the time, was an old coleman gas stove, that actually took the coleman camp fuel, basically gasoline, with a pump called a generator. So I was standing outside having a smoke, when I hear dad saying a few choice cuss words from inside the tent. I put out my smoke, and ran to the open tent flap, only to see fire climbing the wall of the tent. The seal in the generator had failed, causing it to constantly feed the raw fuel to the lit burner. there was no way to control the fire, and it was rapidly spreading across the wall of the tent. Dad tried to pour the water from the coffee pot on the fire, but it didnt do anything, so he picked it up and tossed it in my direction, screaming, get that thing out of here, to which I replied, Are you crazy, I'm not picking that up its on fire! I managed to get around to the back side of the stove, and kick it out the door, and in a few seconds the fire burned out, but the ceiling of the tent had been completely burned out. We just sort of stood there for a few minutes in disbeliefe of what had just happend. I pulled out another smoke, and handed the pack to dad, I lit mine, and said. Well, I don't think that can hurt us anymore. Uh, Things being what the way they are, given our little adventure that we just had there. I uh, wouldn't be apposed to driving into chilicothe, and getting some food...............there was a short pause, and dad said, yeah.....thats a good idea. So we had pizza hut that night.

When we got there, I saw another couple of hunters in there, and one guy had a bandaged hand. I wanted so bad to go over to him, and ask him "Burned your tent down huh?"

Camping in Missouri/Kansas?




ttiwnoved2


My boyfriend and I are going to be staying with a relative in Kansas City then looking to go camping. Any recomendations? We have a tent and would like something with toilets and showers but not much else. Water nearby for tubing or kayaking.


Answer
Two places in Missouri you may want to consider.

1st is the Meramac State Park. Father from KC though. About 50 miles west of St. Louis via I-55. Very nice area. And I have included a link.

Other is the Lake Of The Ozarks. Specifically the Osage river. Going south on highway 54 just prior to getting to the big lake you will see several places that offer tent camping. And you can tube and go kayaking on the Osage.

Osage Beach just south of there on 54 has one of the largest outlet malls in the Midwest-should you decide to go shopping too.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment