tent and supplies for camping, across america w/2 dogs?




pilgrim


I am looking to pack my small SUV up with myself,basic supplies and two dogs, 40lb mutt and 80lb german shepherd, from New York to California in August. I have not yet considered how long this will take. First off, any suggestions on tents, there's so many to choose from and an abundance of add-ons, I would love some feedback from the public on their experience,

What is significant: space,the dogs will sleep in there with me, quick and easy set up and take down, lack of fiddly lines and tie downs, Im planning on taking the northern path cross country so suitability for all temperatures and environments, ventilation, two dogs and me generate a lot of heat.
What is not significant: weight, it will be in the car and I wont be carrying it far, price, I will want to keep this for a long time and use it again.

Any decent links to camping reviews, packing lists etc are appreciated, also, if anyone has done this before with dogs, tips and hints and recommendations for places dog friendly along the way would be wonderful, thanks in advance!
great advice from all, and the safety of my dogs is the great priority here, dont worry, were making some re-con trips over the next few weeks in preparation,
GPS: check!!
Veterinary locations: check,
Emergency veterinary care kit: check, thanks again!



Answer
When I take my puppy (10 year-old, 85-Lb shepherd mix) camping and am solo, a two person tent is more than sufficient for her, my gear and me. I wouldn't have any trouble fitting a second, smaller dog in as well. So I think that any 2-person tent or larger would be fine. If you plan on sleeping on a double- or queen-sized air mattress, then you'd need to go with a 4-person or larger tent unless your dogs sleep in bed with you. With tents, each person is allocated about 26" width, so a queen-size mattress will take up as much space as 2.5 "persons."

There's so many different tents to choose from it's hard to make a recommendation. I've always had good luck with Eureka, and the aforementioned 2-person tent is more than 15 years old and is still in wonderful shape, despite being used at least 500 nights. Since weight is not a concern, you'll be doing mostly short stays by yourself with two dogs, I'd suggest a 4-person dome tent. Don't go much larger, or else you'll have trouble setting-up alone. You should pick out a tent in-person at a camping/outdoors store such as REI, EMS, Campmor (if you're nearby) or similar. Look for a good brand name (Eureka, Kelty, Marmot, North Face) and then features like:

* Bathtub Floor -- floor material wraps up the sides before joining the wall
. material so the seams are less likely to leak
* Full Coverage Fly -- better wind and rain protection
* Clip or Sleeve/Clip setup -- faster and easier setup (try to get spare clips
. in case one breaks or gets lost).
* Vents/Doors -- Look for cross-ventilation and easy access for you and
. your dogs.
* Pre-Sealed or Taped Seams -- better rain protection.
* Material thickness -- different models use different weights/weaves of nylon.
. Heavier weight is more durable, particularly on the floor panel where sharp
. dog nails might be an issue.

Any tent you get will need to be staked-down against the wind. I can't tell you how many time's I've retrieved tents for neighbors who thought they could get by without staking. Most dome tents use two or three straight poles that are all shock-corded together, so there's little to get confused over when setting-up and minimal time and effort. The fly is optional and, depending on the tent design, only needed when it rains or to cut the wind. I'd avoid cabin tents or modified domes that have angled poles and other fiddly bits to deal with, even if they are typically taller and more spacious.

Aside from the tent you'll need a ground sheet to help protect the floor. Best option here is to get some heavy polypro painter's drop sheets from your local home improvement store and then cut about about 3"/side wider/longer than the floor of your tent. This extra material gets folded up and tucked under the tent to prevent water from accumulating under the floor.

Next thing is what will you sleep on. I assume you'll bring temperature-appropriate sleeping bag for you. If space isn't a concern, I'd suggest a folding camp cot with a foam pad on top for comfort and insulation, otherwise a thick foam mat. As for the dogs, except in the coldest weather, your shepherd won't need any extra insulation, (mine won't sleep inside her cut-down sleeping bag unless it's below 10 degrees), I don't know about your other dog. My shepherd is also content to sleep on the ground, but happier when I bring her own foam mat along.

No issues with dog supplies, except to have an air-tight container for dog food storage and treat it like any other food in regards to wildlife (particularly bears and raccoons): keep away from your tent, locked in your car or bear lockers where provided. Skip those overpriced, folding dog bowls at the pet store, just bring your regular bowls from home and a collapsible food storage bowl (about $6) for water on the trail.

Having up-to-date rabies vaccinations with written certificate from your vet and dog licenses is essential. Most campgrounds won't accept you without these items. Of course other vaccinations should be up-to-date as well, for your dogs' health. Bring a copy of both your and your dogs' major medical information with you in case of emergency. Veterinarian access is usually as simple as looking through a local phone book, or you can use the Pet Travel Center's website's search function at http://www.pettravelcenter.com/veterinarians. Don't forget flea/tick drops, leashes, dog run wire or rope, and favorite play toys. Oh, get an ID tag made with your cell phone number and home address for each dog, in case they somehow get lost (it does happen).

Bring a good first aid kit, it should cover the essentials for you and your dogs. Nail trimmers and a grooming brush (for the dogs -- I'll assume you already were bringing your own!). If you or your dogs take prescription meds, take along a fresh prescription with you in case you run out or medicine gets lost or contaminated during your trip.

GPS: They're fine for finding out how to

Camping Tent Recomendation?




Hysol


I would like to purchase a camping tent and am looking for a manufacturer recommendation. It would be a 3 season tent. I need it to be water proof.

I checked Consumer Report and they have never rated tents. Every time I look at some tent online there are good and bad reviews that often counterdict each other.

Do any of you out there know of a good unbiased site that has reviewed and rated tents?

Do any of you out there own a tent brand that you really like? ( waterproof, zippers work well, well made).

Thank you all in advance.
Wow, thank you for all of your responses. Great questions that you asked.
OK, I would be using this tent for two uses. One would be hauled with a motorcycle in a pull behind trailer (Marine Corps vet here-Run to the Wall and Rolling Thunder rides done every year.). And I would be using it with a car for traveling. No back packing. I am 60 years old, not much hiking done here. I need waterproof. I don't mind spending some dinero on the tent. I would prefer a 4 person tent (might have a young lady friend with me now an then) and I would prefer being able to stand up in the tent. I am 6 foot tall.
I hope that supplies more info for all of you.
Thanks for the help.



Answer
You failed to provide critical details: size, weight, type of camping.
When I am car camping, I am fine with the cheap department-store tent that holds a queen-sized air mattress and all of my gear. However, I use very different tents that are one-fifth as heavy and ten times more expensive when backpacking in remote mountain tundra locations. Generally, within a class based on weight and cost, you will find many similar models that are about equal in quality. If you spend a few hundred dollars, you will get a good tent.

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL-1, $330
MSR Hubba Hubba 2, $300

A few great tents are manufactured for:

Big Agnes
MSR
GoLite
Marmot
The North Face
Sierra Designs

Backpacker Magazine has good tent reviews.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment