Questions for biologists who do field work?

best tent camping kentucky on ... , Putney, KY - Cabin Rentals, Kayak Rentals, RV Sites, Tent Sites
best tent camping kentucky image



Viol3t


Do you work in teams?if not what's it like working by yourself? and can you share some experiences of places you've been in what exactly you were doing there?How was it your first time around in the field far away how did you cope with any homesickness?Where exactly do you sleep like in motorhomes hotels tents etc...what about when your in a remote place and it's extremely cold or extremely hot?What would you say the most dangerous position you've been in while in the field?What's the worst and the bests parts about working outdoors?


Answer
I usually work alone, and very occasionally have another biologist with me. I have worked in the following states: Colorado, New Mexico, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Baja, Mexico,and all throughout California including the central valley, the sierra Nevada's, catalina island, So. California, etc. and also in the arctic tundra in Alaska. With all these jobs I either lived in a field station, did tent camping, lived in an apt., on a compound, or once I lived in a literal shack for 5 months. Dealing with extreme temperatures is one of the most dangerous parts of this job. I have been in several dangerous situations: being struck at by rattlesnakes, being rattled at about 50 times, falling into quicksand, piercing my eye on a branch, puncturing my eardrum on a branch, coming in contact with bears, bobcats, coyotes, feral pigs, pot farm owners, poachers, etc., tearing a ligament out on the tundra and having to walk back a mile to my car in extreme pain, falling into water on the tundra in very low temps, getting heat exhaustion on a regular basis, getting stuck and stranded in my truck in the middle of nowhere and having to hike out for help, etc. etc. Yes, these are all dangers I have put myself in for this job..but I would never dream of doing anything else. The best parts are being my own boss (for the most part), working alone, setting my own pace, deciding where to go and what to do, having the freedom to make up my own studies, watching birds all day and getting paid for it, just being out is nature in wild beautiful areas all day long..basically I hike for a living and get paid for it. The work is also very rewarding as I am working directly saving endangered species and really making a difference. I also like educating people about the species I study as well.

Where is a good place to hike/camp in Tennesee or Kentucky?




Angel 77


I am looking for a weekend long hiking and camping trip. I will be going this weekend. I want to find a place where I can backpack and hike. I would like long trails with secluded places to set up a tent without disturbance from other hikers. I would also like to be able to build a fire.


Answer
The Appalachian Trail! It goes through Tenn.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment